Flora M. Housel (McDowell),
Installation of Nebraska Alpha
The chapter was installed on January 1, 1884. The chapter’s charter was relinquished in 1892 when the college closed its doors and moved to Lincoln, where it became Nebraska Wesleyan University. While it was open, the chapter created a local lending library. When the chapter closed, the library was given to the city to become a public library. This was likely the first organized literacy philanthropy in the fraternity.
There were seven charter members: Vinnie Harrison (Cowell), Callie L. Mam (Daggy), Belle Dickey (Hunter), Louise Woodruff (Jerome), Flora S. Bowman (McCloud), Mary L. Baldwin (Wyckoff) and Flora M. Wycoff (Cameron).