Grand President Amy Burnham Onken,
Installation of North Carolina Alpha
A local group, Beta Alpha Pi, was formed in 1921. The group officially became a chapter of Pi Beta Phi on September 28, 1923. The New Member Ceremony took place in the chapter’s quaint, one-room chapter house. It had been the first schoolhouse in Chapel Hill. The Initiation Ceremony took place in the 300-year old home of Professor and Mrs. Caldwell. There was an installation banquet in the social rooms of the Presbyterian Church. Amy Burnham Onken gave the “Fraternity Welcome” and Pauline Turnbull, New York Alpha, spoke about Pi Phi in regards to the fraternity and sorority world.
Living at North Carolina Alpha
The Fraternity acquired the house at 109 Hillsborough Street in 1936, and Pi Phi members have been living in the house ever since. The house is part of the Historical District of North Carolina, and the charter is received through the school. The home was once a bed and breakfast, and it also housed a former University of North Carolina Chancellor! The house is home to 33 women in a variety of singles, doubles, triples and quadruples. There is also an annex one block from the house that houses 19 members. The North Carolina Alpha Pi Phi House is full of charm and character. There’s an old-fashioned wind chime doorbell and an antique dinner bell that waiters used to ring to signal the start of meals! The bell is no longer used because mealtimes are rolling, but it is a neat antique.
Panhellenic Groups on Campus
Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Delta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Phi Mu, Pi Beta Phi, Sigma Sigma Sigma and Zeta Tau Alpha
Every year the chapter, along with Phi Delta Theta, hosts the Eve Carson Memorial 5K. It’s the biggest 5K in Chapel Hill and it is held annually in honor of former student body president, Eve Carson. Last year the event raised just over $135,000!
Grand Council Members from North Carolina Alpha