Installation at Vermont Beta
The chapter was installed on Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 1898, amid a blizzard. Vermont Beta was chartered through the efforts of Vermont Alpha Ada Hurlburt. The charter members were Ada Almina Hurlburt, Eliza Maybelle Farman, Mary Isabelle Gregory (Waddell), Kate Russell White, Edith Louise Carpenter, Mary Conro, Ivah Winnifred Gale, Katheryne Knee Gebhardt (Welch), Inez Adelaide Grout, Charlotte Frances Hale, Susanne Pearl Whiteman (Smith), Grace Anna Goodhue (Coolidge), Ethel Marilla Stevens (Guptel) and Mary Adelle Grout (McKibbon).
Living at Vermont Beta
The Vermont Beta Chapter house is home to 18 collegiate members each academic year. Vermont Beta’s house is known for its historic features; the chapter has occupied this same house since it was built. The house was constructed in 1931, as a gift from Pi Phi alumnae to all active members. Located at 369 South Prospect Street, the chapter house is situated adjacent to the Redstone campus at UVM. The building is Old English in its architectural design. Before the house was built, meetings were held in rented apartments in downtown Burlington. The purpose of the house was to provide a place for all things Pi Phi, from chapter meetings to housing members of the organization. The Vermont Beta house is managed and maintained by Headquarters and the Fraternity Housing Corporation (FHC) in St. Louis, Missouri.
Panhellenic Groups on Campus
Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Delta Delta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Delta and Pi Beta Phi
- Grace Goodhue Coolidge, former First Lady of the United States
Grand Council Members from Vermont Beta