The History of the San Diego, California, Alumnae Club
The San Diego Alumnae Club was chartered in 1925 and combined with the Del Sol Alumnae Club in 2011. There are more than 60 club members with several interest groups, including book club, bridge, Pi Phis in Action Hiking Group, lunch bunch, Mommy ‘N' Me Little Angels, quilting and young alums. The club actively supports California Epsilon at San Diego State University through chapter house financial support as well as through volunteering on Chapter House Corporation and Alumnae Advisory Committee.
There have been two conventions held in San Diego: one in 1989 with Local Convention Committee Chair Karen Emberton, assisted by Jan Darcy, Jerelyn Biehl, Nancy Johnson Ward, Sandy Matranga and Betzy Baker, and the other in 2013, chaired by Jerelyn Biehl and assisted by Jenica McClure.
Founders’ Day is celebrated annually in collaboration with the La Jolla and North County Alumnae clubs as well as with California Epsilon, California Kappa and California Xi.
The San Diego Alumnae Club coordinates Christmas Greens sales and LuLaRoe Pop-up clothing sales as fundraisers each year.
- Yearly children’s book collections at annual Christmas parties
- Dr. Seuss’® Birthday – the club donates books and members read to children at Olivewood Elementary School; one member wears a Cat in the Hat® costume provided by the club’s previous president. The club has also invited collegians from California Epsilon, and recently California Xi, to join in on the fun.
- FDS500: 2014 and 2017 at Olivewood Elementary School
- Clean Your Closets Clothing Collection
- The club collects donations for Grossmont College’s Office Professional Training (OPT) program
Awards and Club Recognition
Evelyn Peters Kyle Award
- Daphney Bitanga, Ring Ching Roadshow driver
- Karen Emberton, Local Convention Committee Chair (1989)
- Jerelyn Biehl, Local Convention Committee Chair (2013)