The History of the Traverse Bay Area Alumnae Club
The charter gathering was held on October 24, 1978 at he home of Barbara Waechter Good. Michigan Beta roommates spearheaded the creation of the club and served as charter officers: President Janet Wickham Gregory and Secretary Leslie Ferguson Sibery
The club was very active for over thirty years and, after a brief hiatus, is excited to once again be an official alumnae club for Pi Phi’s 150th celebration year. Since 1978, the club has continued to hold several meetings each year, celebrate Founders’ Day, hold Cookie Shines and support local philanthropies. After viewing a slideshow on Arrowmont in 1979, members held an Arrowcraft sale at the home of Janet Gregory in 1980 and a second sale at the First Congregational Church in 1983. Members also held a Panhellenic luncheon to encourage other local groups to form alumnae clubs; the citywide luncheons continued for over 25 years. The club has held “Monmouth Duo” dinners with area Kappa Kappa Gamma Alumnae. They spearheaded local meetings to acquaint high school seniors with fraternity life on campus. Now as an official club once again, members look forward to meeting many new area Pi Beta Pi sisters.
The club supports various local organizations each year.
Awards and Club Recognition
- Emma Harper Turner Award, Theta province – Sally Bridges Benner (2005)
- Dr. Joan Griner Licht, dermatologist
- Ann Appleford Devries, author
- Donna Crocker Johnston, artist
- Della Gillett, teacher; Della Gillett was the first Pi Beta Phi sister to teach at the Settlement School in Gatlinburg in 1913. She was a librarian and was from Traverse City, Michigan! Pi Phi created a statue to honor her for our “100 years of Literacy” celebration in 2012. The statue is in the centennial plaza, she is offering a McGuffy reader to s student, and is proudly wearing her Pi Phi pin. She taught there a year, returned to Traverse City, and married Theron Morgan.