The History of the St. Paul, Minnesota, Alumnae Club
The St. Paul Alumnae Club distinguishes itself with a wide variety of programming options, support for the club’s local Minnesota Alpha Chapter and joint activities with the club’s neighbor, Minneapolis Alumnae Club. The club’s theme this year is “Aiming for the Stars” and members plan to carry it into Convention. The club has been fortunate to be awarded FDS500 Books for two years in a row, and members greatly enjoy delivering these books to the students of Valentine Hills Elementary.
One of the highlights of 2015 was co-planning and attending the 125th Anniversary Celebration for Minnesota Alpha. Grand Council President Paula Shepherd and her husband actually drove Libbie across the country to attend the club’s event! Supporting Minnesota Alpha is one of the club’s passions; it has nine members who serve either on Alumnae Advisory Committee or Chapter Housing Corporation for the chapter.
- Fraternity Day of Service: 500 Book Donation to Valentine Hills Elementary
- Fundraisers for Women’s Advocates, a shelter for battered women and their children, including: the annual “Panty Raid,” an October event that collects new underwear for women and children; and the March book drive for their children’s program and clothing collections.
Awards and Club Recognition
- FDS 500 Book Donation recipient (2017, 2016)
- Premier Club (Small Club) - Second Runner Up (2016)
- Handmade angel earrings that were sold at the Minneapolis Convention in 1977
- A song that was written by one of the club’s members and won a Pi Beta Phi Award for creative writing
- The club’s Recipe Collection of cards that were sold as a fundraiser in the 1980s and are still used for dinners today
- Carol Warren, Grand Council
- Two former members that have rooms dedicated to them at the Minnesota Alpha Chapter House: Barbara Lauder (deceased) and Therese Brown Jensen (currently living in Omaha)