The History of the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Alumnae Club
The Milwaukee Club of Pi Beta Phi was granted its charter in 1921. There were 20 charter members. The charter was mailed to the first club president, Gertrude Browne Freeman. The club participates in a few traditional events: the Kickoff Dinner, the Holiday Party and the Salad Supper. Members also are active in various social and philanthropic activities.
The Milwaukee club has had a relationship with the Neighborhood House since the 1950s. The Neighborhood House provides care for children ages 6 weeks to 6 years, in addition to before- and after-school programs. The Neighborhood House has been the recipient of books, donations and volunteer hours throughout the years. The club members also give time to Next Door, an early education program, where they read and donate books. Also, volunteers created and delivered a reading program with music and art for a fourth-grade Milwaukee elementary school class.
The Milwaukee Alumnae Club has an angel jar, which changed in form over the years. This jar is passed around at meetings and events to raise extra funds. These funds are used for the literacy initiatives and to support the local chapters.
Awards and Club Recognition
- Club of Superior Performance (2016)
- Excellence in Communication - Regional (2016)
- Excellence in Membership and Recruitment - Small Group (2016)
- Excellence in Programming - Small Group (2016)
- Jessie Moeur French Award for Best Fraternity Education Program (1981)
- Spirit Award (2016)
- Peggy Schwoegler, first director of the Neighborhood House in the 1950s and club president (1959-1961)